Monday, April 16, 2007

Acronyms

While I'm in traffic, I entertain myself by looking at the license plates in front of me. In Connecticut, I see an inordinate number of personalized plates. Often they're clever, which is fun. More often, they're not, which isn't. But my favorite kind of plate to encounter is the accidental, everyday DMV-issue three-letter acronym. This state is fairly small, so the tag numbers have only six characters: ###, letter letter letter.

Last week I was chauffeuring the kids someplace, and I was approaching a left-hand turn. People went around me in the right-hand lane to pass, and to my amusement, three cars in a row had the following plate letters, respectively:

STD
HPV
HRT

Well, I tell you, I snickered so hard that I nearly missed my left turn light. I had to keep watching the cars in the right lane. What would be next? I was hoping

PMS
OBGYN (would have to have been personalized)

Unfortunately, they weren't. But OMG, what a coincidence!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4/18/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger Nance said...

Let's hope those weren't vanity plates!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home