Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sales Pitch

A few weeks ago a new local car-dealership ad started coming on during daytime TV. Typical of local, low-budget ads, it is loud and unconvincing. This one has a twist, however--and it's a pitch I've never heard from a boorish car salesman before. At the end of the ad, an irritating woman, clearly not a professional ad person, appears as narrator and says, or reads,
Come on down to Bob's Dodge. He just wants to get you a loan.
I was not looking at the screen the first time I heard this. So, to me, just listening, it sounded like, "He just wants to get you alone!" The next time the ad came on, I saw that the words were printed. But, still. Like I'm gonna run on down to Bob's Dodge so he can get me alone.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5/01/2007 8:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks! You just saved me from having to write almost this exact same blog post! I was looking down and heard the most creepy ad tagline ever... I looked up and saw "a loan." Laughed my ass off. Way to go, Bob.

 
At 5/01/2007 5:57 PM, Blogger sputnik said...

Flawless--Thanks! I'm so heartened to know someone else heard what I thought I heard! P.S. Nice, poetic name. FlawlessWalrus.

 
At 11/07/2008 6:15 PM, Blogger luckyhole said...

Oh Bob!

 
At 2/05/2009 12:48 PM, Blogger PRK said...

I ALWAYS make fun of this idiotic commercial! Whenever he has his little brat grandson, (or whoever the kid is) on, I say the line..."hey kid...watch out...he just wants to get YOU alone"!
And read the fine print on his ads...he just wants to screw you is what he wants to do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home