Thursday, May 19, 2005

My Burrito

At the end of April, an alarming news story went into print. In Clovis, New Mexico, a bright boy fulfilled an extra-credit marketing assignment by creating a 30-inch burrito and taking it to school wrapped in foil and a tee shirt.

What's alarming about that, you might ask, other than the colossal size of the burrito, or maybe salsa leaking onto a nice clean shirt?

Well, if you're going to occasion a police chase, a school lock-down, and widespread community outrage, apparently this is a really good tactic.

There's something utterly charming about the whole episode. I LOVE it. And I love what the administrator said the kid was thinking at the pre-evacuation assembly: "Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito."

Last weekend, one of my favorite radio shows, National Public Radio's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," broadcast a no-less winning embellishment: supposedly Burrito Boy quipped, "When burritos are outlawed, only outlaws will have burritos."

Burrito Boy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home