Tuesday, January 30, 2007

That's a Wrap!

Manufacturers of all kinds of consumer products think their customers are blithering idiots. They have to make that assumption, and as a technical writer I understand why. If a seventy-million-against-one odds accident happens, they might be liable for something, so they have to be proactive to prevent any possible calamity. And so we constantly find interesting tidbits of important helpful advice in places we'd never expect:

I apologize for the poor visibility. But this is a dishwasher-soap-tablet wrapper that, in its very small space, is riddled with warning. My personal favorite is: "Remove wrapper before use." Sigh. I will. And then I'll eat the tablet. That's how you're supposed to use it, right? Because it doesn't warn me that I shouldn't.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home