Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Poetry Thursday 5/10/07 "June Bug"

This week's assignment was to use the random generator. My word was "static." Lucky me.

It reminded me of my elder child's bright, light, floaty hair when he was a toddler, how he loved to scoot around on the nylon carpet on his back, and of my opening the front door carrying him in my arms. He would always reach out to strike the little wind chime just inside the front door. He thought the sound of it was a special celebration. The chime now hangs outside our current porch door.

Here's the chime as it looks today, weathered, repaired, and as well loved by the whole family as ever:


Here's the poem:

June Bug

small George
juvenile June bug
scuttles his back
bellymound rolling
one side and yon across
gritted carpet

his legs laugh a tune
they knock together
he sings
"The Eatza-Pizza-Pie-der!"
small hair a gold
static clingstack

he plays
wood-and-metal chimes
small ears
tickled by the loud

"Birthday!"
he shouts,
"Birthday!"

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 5/10/2007 12:15 PM, Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Love this! When he's thirty, you'll be glad you saved the moment. Trust me.

 
At 5/11/2007 11:33 AM, Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm not sure about what pepek says, these kind of moments are pure embarrassment for me when my parents dig them up! I'm sure you're the one who will want these memories written down! I enjoyed your poem!

 
At 5/11/2007 1:00 PM, Blogger sputnik said...

Thanks, pepek and Crafty! The boy is now 15 and an aspiring composer and lyricist. So far, he gives me permission to read things about him in front of an audience; sometimes he's in the audience, too. He doesn't make fun of me or get embarrassed. (I have other poems and essays that could be much more humiliating to a teen, but he doesn't mind them, either.) I think we've come to an artists' understanding that our work is personal and reflects how we experienced things. He doesn't argue against what I experienced. I also think that there's a distance time creates that allows him to feel disembodied (?) from what I write; he was too young at the time to remember it now or fight with its accuracy, so doesn't really think of himself as that little person I talk about.

 
At 5/13/2007 3:02 PM, Blogger Nance said...

really like "static clingstack" and "bellymound".

 
At 5/14/2007 12:44 PM, Blogger chicklegirl said...

Sputnik, glad to have connected with you through Poetry Thursday. I loved "June Bug": an inspiration to me to see my child from a different perspective and find inspiration amongst the everyday. Thanks! (and thanks for the kind words about my poem, too.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home