Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Color Pact--Umber

The prompt word I got today was "umber."

I love it! Thank you, prompt generator.

This poem may not make any sense to anyone who has not tried watercolor painting. It's about the color names.

Color Pact--Umber

Mine is the umber that's not yet burnt.

It hovers
Madder, like rose genuine

and falls incorrectly,
awkward,

through ochre and sienna
desperate to be

Alizarin
(it has no promise of Crimson)

and ends

Raw,
closer to

scarlet lake

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6/14/2007 10:50 PM, Blogger January said...

I love how you take the prompt and really go with it. And I'm a big fan of the form immitating what's going on in the poem. Very nice!

 
At 6/16/2007 12:35 AM, Blogger chicklegirl said...

I love this! I remember sneaking into my mom's paints when I was a kid and thrilling at the poetic mystery of paint names. This takes me back to that, but also is more--capturing the aspiration of umber?

 
At 6/16/2007 7:40 PM, Blogger tinamtl said...

LOVELY!

I have a hard time with the prompt. You did well!

 
At 7/06/2007 2:11 AM, Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm late I know but I must have missed this. It's lovely, I love the names of watercolours and you've used them really well here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home